Olsenboye for jcpenney
Our reader Megan asks: " I'd like to know what stores you recommend I shop at that are similar to Forever 21, H&M, Marshall's, TJMaxx, Ross and Charlotte Russe. I don't aim for one specific look, but I do like to dress in a way that compliments my tan skin tone and black hair. I usually buy things in a size medium at Forever 21. I also like stores like Zumiez and I love Hot Topic's fun accessories. So to sum everything up, I was wondering what places you recommend for a teenager who wants fun, edgy, and sometimes girly looks on a tight budget. Also, where would you recommend that has good, lasting jeans for good prices? Thank you!
VF: Hi Megan. It seems like you're on the right track with some of the stores you mentioned. I love every single one of them for shopping on a budget. Some other budget friendly stores I'd recommend for a teenager include: Target, Zara, Urban Outfitters, Wet Seal, Asos.com, jcpenney and Kohl's--jcpenney for example has some really cute collections from their "I Heart Ronson" and "Olsenboye" line I think you might like. Also, for some good lasting jeans at good prices, I'd recommend Express. I just bought 2 jeans for $35 each. The trick is though to use a coupon. They typically have coupons where you can save $15 if you spend $30 or save $30 if you spend $75 and so on. You can get it by signing-up to their email alerts. Right now is also the perfect time to buy, since they are having their end-of season sale.
Here are some other tips you might find helpful:
1. Sign-up to get email alerts from your favorite stores. Usually stores offer incentives for signing up. For example when you sign-up at Kohl's you get $10 Kohl's cash you can use towards your next purchase. You'll also be informed whenever they have sales or coupons!
2. Outlet stores are great for finding great deals. One of my favorites is Nordstrom Rack. Here's a link where you can find an outlet store near you: http://www.outletbound.com/.
3. Another great option is flash sales sites like Ideeli.com and Ruelala.com. It's free to sign-up and you can find designer brands at up to 80% off. I love love love Ideeli's Red Sale. I once scored a dress for $20 (originally $130). The red sale happens every so often, so you'd have to keep an eye out for it. Here's a link to my personal invite if you're not yet a member Ideeli .
4. January/February and July/August are the best times to shop for sales, because that's when stores usually have their end of season sales and need to sell things to make room for the new collections.
5. I also love shopping at thrift stores. It's a great place to find unique jewelry and accessories at UH-Mazing prices. You really never know what you'll find. I once found a brand new VALENTINO cardigan. Click here to check out some of my tips for thrift store shopping.
Hope these help!